Tuesday, December 15, 2009

i'll keep you my furry little secret

by now, you all know my furry little nugget, bailey.  i've had her since the day after thanksgiving, so it's been about two and a half weeks so far.  my little sister had really been wanting a dog for a long time, and since i knew my dad really didn't want to get her a dog, i figured we could "share" bailey.  our family had to give our last dog to my ex ex boyfriend because she kept eating frogs and chewing up the backyard fence and digging holes to china.  she was a black lab puppy that i had the genius idea of bringing home on winter break during college freshman year.  my parents loved that surprise.  ha!  the dog before that (a german shepherd) died of a brain aneurysm.  we thought she had been poisoned by a butthole teenage neighbor so we sent her off to texas a&m for an autopsy.  and the dog before that (a basset hound) was bitten by a rattlesnake, not once but three separate times.  needless to say, my family doesn't have much luck with dogs.  and like i said my dad doesn't really care for dogs and doesn't want my sister to get one.  terrible, i know.  all the dogs were mine and/or my mom's idea. 

anyways, back to bailey... i also mentioned that during the day on monday-friday, she stays over at my parents' house while i'm at work.  i don't want her to be in her kennel all day all by her little furry, big ear lonesome self, plus my parents live close to my office so it's convenient and free doggy daycare!  so from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., bailey stays with her mimi and gets to play with her aunt and uncle when they get home from school.  my little sister absolutely loves it.  so far it all sounds great, huh??

well, while everyone else in my world knows about my new lovebug, who doesn't know about my little nugget is my dad.  he was in germany for business during thanksgiving so wasn't here to witness my new furry goodness.  "not here for thanksgiving!?!?" you exclaim.  well, yes.  he's swiss.  the pilgrims and indians did not eat and be merry and celebrate thanksgiving in switzerland.  thus, the big wigs at headquarters in germany don't give a shit that those living and working in america may have american spouses with little half-american children who celebrate this glorious holiday.  they called all the presidents from all the offices in the world to come.  they didn't care about turkey and sweet potatoes and pecan pie.  they schedule big, important meetings regardless.  anyways, point being my dad wasn't here to see bailey.


{germany = no thanksgiving!}

he got back in town from germany on december 6th.  it is now december 15th and he still doesn't know i ("they" part time) have a dog.  i drop bailey off after he leaves for work in the morning and i pick her up in the evening before he gets home from work.  my mom does the dirty work and hides the evidence, i.e. raw hides, chew toys, outfits, doggy bed, leash, etc.  we're terrible, i know.




you're probably wondering, meredith, when are you going to tell him?!  funny you should ask, bloggy friends.  you see, today is his birthday and we're grilling steaks and having a big dinner tonight to celebrate.  and guess who is on the guest list???  you guessed it!  my furry little nugget!! 

surprise, dad!!  you're a grandpa!!  happy birthday!!!




i'll let you know how it goes...

8 comments:

jessalyn said...

haha good luck!!! i think this will probably go over better than when you were in college and brought a puppy home on break...just remind him of that- you have done worse. :)

besides- how can he not love that cute face!

CalgaryDaddy said...

I love that Pic of the Puppy in the grass! That has calender written all over it!

Shane

Haddock said...

The evergreen Lucy

bananas. said...

How can he deny her with a face like that? Good luck and happy birthday grandpa! Haha. Kidding.

SurferWife said...

oh, tomorrow's post oughta be a doozy. Can't wait to hear about it! LOL! And Bailey is way too cute!

Annie said...

haha! too funny!
he will love your furry little pup!

Cathy said...

This is hysterical! I can't wait to hear how it all plays out.

I have a friend who never told her dad we went skydiving. I think he saw a picture 5 years after we did it. Her mom kept the secret too. She also never told her dad she got a boob job, but I'm pretty sure he noticed....going from "barley a" to solid "c" is hard not to notice, even for a dad.

Shandal said...

Haha, you're a good story teller. I love the pics with it too! I'm interested to hear what your Dad's reaction is going to be. Happy Birthday to him BTW!